Tikhonov D.G., Ivanov P.M.
Annotation. The structure of the oncological incidence among the population of Yakutia has changed significantly over the past 100 years. During this period, esophageal and gastric cancers lost the leading positions in the structure of oncological pathology; there was a sharp upsurge in the number of lung cancer and its decline by the end of the analyzed period; there has been a rise in the number of malignant neoplasms of the reproductive organs and large intestine. It should be noted that a sharp decrease in the number of esophageal cancer among the region’s population was due not to only the improvement of socio-economic conditions, but also to the well-coordinated and focused work of practical healthcare coordinated by the research team of Professor Ara Bezrodnykh that focused on the early diagnosis and prevention of malignant neoplasms of the upper digestive tract. The early 21st century was characterized by the beginning of the formation of the structure of oncological morbidity connected with the post-industrial development in Yakutia. The reasons for the recent changes are still being analyzed to be clarified.
Key words: Northeast Siberia, Yakutia, incidence, cancer of the esophagus, cancer of the stomach, lung cancer, cancer of the reproductive organs, morbidity dynamics over 100 years.
For citations: Tikhonov D.G., Ivanov P.M. What are the reasons for changing the profile of cancer incidence among the population of Northeastern Siberia over the past 100 years (for example Yakutia)? // Siberian Research. 2019. 2(2). P. 5 – 11. http://doi.org/10.33384/26587270.2019.02.001r.
Received December 10, 2018, accepted for publication November 12, 2019, published December 1, 2019.
About the authors
TIKHONOV Dmitrii Gavrilievich, MD, PhD, Professor, Senior Research Officer of the Scientific Research Center of the Medical Institute of the Northeast Federal University, 677000, Yakutsk, St. Builders 8, Russia, https://orcid.org/0000-0003-3385-9471, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
IVANOV Petr Mikhailovich, DM, PhD, Professor, Head of the oncology course of the department of faculty surgery of the Medical Institute of the North-Eastern Federal University, 677000, Yakutsk, St. Belinsky, 58, Russia, e-mail: email@example.com.
1. Popov N.А. O yakutah, ih obraze zhizni, pitanii i ih boleznyah [About Yakuts, their lifestyle, nutrition and their diseases.]. Yakutsk, 1910. 28 p. [In Russian].
2. Popov G.А. Yakutyi v XVIII veke // Sbornik trudov issledovatelskogo obschestva Saha keskile [Yakuts in the 18th century // Proceedings of the Sakha Keskile Research Society]. 1925. V.1. С. 5 – 12 [in Russian].
3. Boyarov A.F. Ozdorovlenie byita naseleniya Yakutii [Improving the life of the population of Yakutia]. Yakutsk,1927. 20 p. [In Russian].
4. Mironov P.S. Rak pischevoda v Yakutii (kliniko-kraevedcheskoe issledovanie): Avtoref. dis. … k.m.n. [Cancer of the esophagus in Yakutia (clinical study of local lore): Author’s abstract. dis. ... Ph.D]. М., 1958. 13 p. [In Russian].
5. Ischenko M.V. Materialyi po kraevoy patologii Yakutii: Avtoref. dis. … k.m.n [Materials on regional pathology of Yakutia: Author's abstract. dis. ... Ph.D.]. Yakutsk, 1962. 19 p. [In Russian].
6. Yugay L.A. Rak pischevoda v Yakutii i ego hirurgicheskoe lechenie [Esophageal cancer in Yakutia and its surgical treatment]. Yakutsk, 1969. 80 p. [In Russian].
7. Tikhonov D.G. Bolezni pischevoda, zheludka i dvenadtsatiperstnoy kishki v Respublike Saha (Yakutiya) (Kliniko-epidemiologicheskoe issledovanie. Ambulatorno-poliklinicheskaya pomosch): Avtor. dis. … d.m.n. [Diseases of the esophagus, stomach and duodenum in the Republic of Sakha (Yakutia) (Clinical and epidemiological study. Outpatient care): Author. dis. ... doctor of medical sciences]. М., 1993. 40 p. [In Russian].
8. Ivanov P.M., Afanasyeva L.N., Myreeva S.A. Zlokachestvennyie novoobrazovaniya v Yakutii (zabolevaemost i smertnost) [Malignant neoplasms in Yakutia (morbidity and mortality)]. Yakutsk, 2018. 180 p. [In Russian].
9. Global Burden of Disease Cancer Collaboration, Fitzmaurice C., Allen C., Barber R.M. et al. Global, Regional, and National Cancer Incidence, Mortality, Years of Life Lost, Years Lived With Disability, and Disability-Adjusted Life-years for 32 Cancer Groups, 1990 to 2015: A Systematic Analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study. JAMA Oncol. 2017. Apr. 1; 3(4):524 – 548. Doi: 10.1001/jamaoncol.2016.5688.
10. Bezrodnykh A.A., Tikhonov D.G., Ivanov P.M., Androsov V.T. On the spread of the Carcinoma of the Esophagus and the Stomach as compared with the Factors of the external Environment in the conditions of the North // 14th International Cancer Congress. Budapest, 1986. V. 3. P. 4764
11. Shih-Hsin Lu, Hiroshi O., Hua-Ming Fu et al. Urinary Excretion of N-nitrosamino Acids and Nitrate by inhabilitants of High- and Low-Risk Areas for Esophageal Cancer in Northern China: Endogenous Formation of Nitrosoproline and its Inhibition by Vitamin C.-Cancer Res., 1986. V.46. P.1485 – 1491.
Download issue PDF
Action member of the Petrovsky Academy of Arts and Sciences, associate professor of the Arctic State Institute of Culture and Arts
of the English edition
Candidate of Philological Sciences, Associate Professor, Department of English Philology Institute of Foreign Phi-lology and Area Studies, North-Eastern Federal University